One of the more daunting activities of daily life that a person with disabilities faces is that of taking a bath. This is where shower chairs or Tub chairs play an important role
For someone without disabilities, this is certainly not an area of concern. However, for a person with mobility issues, the bathroom is a risky and dangerous place.
There are hundreds of people injured in the bathroom each year and the disabled are at a higher risk of slipping or falling and breaking a bone. For heavy people, we recommend Bariatric shower chairs.
Best Shower Chair Reviews 2021
1. Medical Tool-Free Assembly Spa Bathtub Adjustable Shower Chair with Back
⭐ Best Overall
- SIT, SHOWER & RELAX– Shower chair allows individuals...
- DURABLE & SECURE – NEW model shower chair is now made...
- COMFORTABLE: WIDE SEAT WITH SMALL DRAINAGE HOLES –...
This shower seat offers a solution to any disabled or senior looking forward to taking a shower. It is constructed with an ionized aluminum frame and fixed with non-skid rubber tips which help keep the chair firm on the ground.
The seat is purposely contoured to hold the sitter in place. It’s also made of polystyrene which contains anti-bacterial material which provides good hygiene for the individuals using the seat.
The drainage holes allow water to drain of eliminating any chances of slipping off the shower seat. If you purchase this seat, you don’t need any tools to assemble it.
Features & Specifications
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs.
- Heavy-duty anodized aluminum frame, supports up to 300lbs
- Height adjustable
- Ergonomic handles on the seat
- Micro drainage holes
- Removable Back Width:15.5″
- 19” * 12″ Large seat surface
- The seat is corrosion-proof
- Its wide contoured anti-bacterial polystyrene seat brings increased comfort to the user.
- The rubber feet make it sturdy and firm
- Not recommended for heavier users
2. Dr. Kay’s Adjustable Height Bath and Shower Chair
⭐ Best Low Cost
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND EXCEPTIONALLY STABLE: Don't sacrifice...
- OUR MAXIMUM HEIGHT IS A FULL 2-INCHES HIGHER: Some of...
- FITS EVEN IN SMALL TUBS AND SHOWERS: The ample...
Dr. Kay’s shower chair is all about stability and strength. The seat weighs only 4 pounds. It’s made from heavy-duty anodized aluminum and the wide contoured area holds up to 250 pounds. The material used is water-resistant i.e. rust proof.
It’s easy to assemble it, no tools required. To increase its stability, 2 braces connect the 4 legs. The seat has side handles which make it easy to move around. The anti-slip rubber grips and a wide base make it firm when on a slippery surface.
You can adjust the seat between 12.5″ and 18.5″ for a higher height if needed. If the legs stand gets wobbly, check if the screws are properly tightened.
Features & Specifications
- Anti-slip rubber grips
- Ergonomic handles for easy movement
- Created with tough water-resistant material
- weighs only 4 pounds
- easily holds up to 250lbs
- Easy to assemble and adjust
- Sturdy when assembled correctly
- Small and can be used in the bathtub
- It’s not ok to stand on the stool
- No back support
3. Ez2care Adjustable Lightweight Shower Bench, White (18 inches)
⭐ Best Runner Up
- Anti-slip seat surface with drainage holes provides...
- Slip resistant rubber safety tips ensure safety while...
- Adjustable seat height from 12.5 to 18.5 inch...
This shower stool comes in a simple, smart, and safe design. The manufacturer states that this design puts users’ needs first. Its ideal users are the injured or disabled and for personal grooming or taking a bath.
The design features a broad curved design for sitting. The surface is perforated to enable water to drain off easily. Side handles on the seat are for assisting the user to stand as well as moving the seat to another location.
The aluminum frame is anodized meaning it is corrosion resistant making it durable. Stands are fitted with rubber to reduce the chances of slipping while in the shower. The adjustable legs can extend from 12.5″ to 18″
Features & Specifications
- Comes with an anti-slip seat surface with drainage holes
- Slip-resistant rubber safety tips ensure safety while in use
- Adjustable seat height from 12.5 to 18.5 inches accommodates most users’ needs.
- Heavy-duty anodized aluminum legs are corrosion resistant
- Support weight up to 250 pounds.
- Easy to assemble
- Lightweight making it easy to move around
- Can easily fit in the bathtub
- Side handles make it easy to sit and stand
- Not suitable for standing on
- The maximum load it can handle is 250lb
4. Drive Medical Premium Series Shower Chair with Back and Arms
⭐ Best Handicap Shower Chair
- Bathroom Bench: Designed to fit just about any style of...
- Quality Construction: The ultimate handicap shower...
- Adjustable: Designed to fit your unique needs, our...
One of the main features that stand out in this shower seat is the back and armrest which makes it the ultimate shower bench in mobility self-empowerment.
We all understand the problems the seniors have while taking a shower. This chair guarantees a comfortable shower experience.
The large seat can accommodate people of different shapes and sizes. Its large stable legs are complemented by a non-slip rubber grip. height adjustment is also possible in 0.5″ increments with visual indicators making this process easy.
The maximum weight recommended is 350lbs.
Features & Specifications
- Tool-Free removal of back, legs, and arms for easy storage and portability
- Has back and armrest for extra comfort
- Large stable legs that can support up to 350lbs
- Non-slip rubber grip to avoid falling
- Easy to move around
- The rubber feet make it firm and sturdy
- The Drive Safety Shower Chair is strong, durable, and dependable
- Very many negative reviews on amazon
5. Moen Adjustable Height Non-Slip Bath Safety Transfer Bench
⭐ Best for Bath Tub Transfer
- SAFETY FIRST: Bathroom accessories to lend a helping...
- 16.5" to 21" adjustable height fits a variety of tub...
- Seat measures 33" wide x 18" deep
Do you need assistance in getting in and out of the tub? This transfer bench with an adjustable backrest is exactly what you need.
The reversible bench ensures that the user easily slides in and out of the bathtub or shower with minimum effort. The extended legs are fitted with extra-large suction cups that hold into place the chair.
A pinch-free lever allows the push pins to be depressed without accidentally squeezing fingers. Its dual column extension legs are adjustable in 5″ increments. A blown plastic A-frame is used in the construction of the shower transfer bench.
Features & Specifications
- Reversible transfer bench for entering and exiting the bathtub
- Extra-large non-slip suction cups for extra stability
- Tool-free assembly of back, legs, and arms for seamless bath installation
- Height-adjustable legs to fit most bathtubs
- Holds up to 400lbs
- Ideal for people who need help getting into the bathtub
- Height can be adjusted in 0.5″ increments
6. Drive Medical Folding Universal Sliding Transfer Bench
⭐ Best Sliding Shower Chair
- Shower Chair for Bathtub: Shower bench slides left and...
- Easy to Use: The folding bathroom bench can help anyone...
- Includes: Removable soap dish, safety belt, and a...
Features & Specifications
7. Swiveling and Sliding Bathtub Transfer Bench and Shower Chair
⭐ Best Swivel Shower Chair
- SAFETY FIRST: No need to fear slipping and falling!...
- EASE & COMFORT: Seat swivels 360°, locks every 90°...
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: Modern look. 20+ years of research &...
Features & Specifications
8. HEALTHLINE Shower Bedside Commode Chair Padded Seat
⭐ Best Shower Chair with Wheels
- DURABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT Shower commode chair is made...
- ROLLING COMMODE. All 4 wheels come standard with...
- EXTRA COMFORT This medical shower chair with arms comes...
Features & Specifications
9. EagleHealth Bariatric Shower Chair
⭐ Best Bariatric Shower Chair
- Bariatric Shower Chair (72621) makes using shower...
- Comfortable, extra-wide seat. High Weight Capacity...
- Lightweight, rust-proof, strong aluminum frame. Height...
Features & Specifications
10. Drive Medical Deluxe Folding Bath Bench
⭐ Best Folding Shower Chair
Features & Specifications
11. Health Line Massage Products Shower Stool
⭐ Best Small Shower Chair
- ❤️Adjustable Stool for Smaller Tubs and Bathrooms:...
- ❤️Heavy Duty Mechanical Structrue: With obtuse...
- ❤️Tool-Free Assembly & Easy to Use: Easily...
Recap: Best Shower Chairs
[su_spoiler title=”Expand “]
- Medical Tool-Free Assembly Spa Bathtub Adjustable Shower Chair with Back
- Dr. Kay’s Adjustable Height Bath and Shower Chair
- Ez2care Adjustable Lightweight Shower Bench, White (18 inches)
- Drive Medical Premium Series Shower Chair with Back and Arms
- Moen Adjustable Height Non Slip Bath Safety Transfer Bench
- Drive Medical Folding Universal Sliding Transfer Bench
- Swiveling and Sliding Bathtub Transfer Bench and Shower Chair
- HEALTHLINE Shower Bedside Commode Chair Padded Seat
- EagleHealth Bariatric Shower Chair
- Drive Medical Deluxe Folding Bath Bench
- Health Line Massage Products Shower Stool
Why Should The Elderly Use a Shower Chair?
Slipping in the bathroom while showering; has been seen as one of the most common residential accidents. Slippery surfaces in the bathroom can be a hazard for anyone, be it even the fitted or the sure-footed person.
However, the risk of such slipping accidents can increase even more if you are bound with your age or have physical injury or disability.
Fortunately, there are things such as shower chairs that can help you in avoiding such perils. But often people ask and ponder over, whether it is suitable to use a shower chair? Here are the answers to your questions:
Talking especially in the context of the senior citizens or those suffering from certain ailments, injuries, or physical disabilities, you can naturally lose your strength. However, showering can become independent, private, and confident if you use a shower chair.
Of course, for the ones mentioned above, standing in the shower even for some time can be tiring. But the use of a shower chair can make things simpler and comfortable for senior citizens as well as physically challenged or those suffering from injuries and ailments.
The greatest reason for using the shower chair, by anyone can be its safety. It does not “compel” you to stand longer in the showers and increases your risk of slipping. You can easily and safely shower for a long time too. Besides, you can bathe very easily and safely. While sitting on the shower chair, you can scrub your feet easily, without worrying about losing balance and slipping because of the wet floor.
3. For personal dignity
This goes especially for the senior citizens. People might find it awkward to be bathed by someone else. If you are some of them, using the shower chair can be a good option for you. You can always use the shower chair for your personal dignity as well as confidence. These chairs are not just safe and comfortable but are also very good for you if you want to bathe on your own without anyone else entering your bathroom.
Buying a shower chair can be a wise decision. This can be used by one and all and can help you in getting all the aforementioned advantages. It can appear to be a very simple device, but indeed offers a range of benefits. It can make a lot of difference in your life. In case you feel embarrassed to use a shower chair, you can always use the folding chairs and keep them neatly somewhere else, when not in use!
Different types of shower chair
Falls in the bathroom due to the slippery surfaces can lead to serious injuries. The slip in the bathroom can occur to anyone, but primarily the elders above the age of 65 years, as well as the people with disabilities, are more prone to such accidents. There are different styles or types of shower chairs available in the market and you can buy the one as per your needs and requirements. The kinds of shower chairs that are available to you include:
1. Shower Stools
This is the most cost-effective approach to keeping your bathroom safe for the ones you love. Whether for the disabled or the elders, shower stools can be good for anyone.
These kinds of shower chairs can provide stability in wet areas. It can be good and convenient for caregivers. The shower stools allow easy transport of seniors or disabled in and out of the showers. They are made either of aluminum or plastic. They can be good and cheap options for lightweight maneuverability.
2. Shower Benches
The next kinds of shower chairs are shower benches. They can be easily bought from the medical store. There can be portable options in this kind of shower chair. They have a larger area for sitting and have backrest assistance too. These are absolutely perfect for people who have a larger size.
A lot of shower benches are made up of materials that are water-resistant. They also have suction cups that avoid slipping. These can also be adjusted according to the height.
3. Customized Shower Chair
This is a bit different kind of shower chair because it can be customized by adopting the best features of all kinds. They can come in varied sizes and can have water-resistance material, suction cups, backrest as well as many more features. Some of these models are also made on special orders.
Some of these kinds of shower chairs also have swivel seats which enable people to move freely and enjoy bathing. They can prevent slipping easily.
4. Mounted/ Portable Shower Chair
The last kind of shower chair is the mounted one. They can be used permanently. As the name suggests, this kind of shower chair is installed or mounted permanently in some areas of the bathroom.
They can provide an absolutely stable area for anyone, leave alone elders or the disabled. There are also portable shower chairs that can be easily used even while traveling.
Tips for choosing the shower chair
A shower chair is usually bought by people who have specific needs. However, a lot of people can otherwise also use these chairs. But there are always certain tips that should be followed before choosing the shower chair.
1. Should meet your needs
There is no point in buying a shower chair if it does not meet your needs. It is important that the chair should fulfill your purpose of buying it. Therefore, it is important to buy the chair for meeting specific needs, lest it goes waste. There is obviously no point in buying a chair that is just another piece of furniture in your home.
2. Consider the design of the shower
The design of the shower will also be a great factor to be determined while choosing the shower chair. You can actually choose any kind of shower chair that you like, but it will be worthless if it is not suitable for the shower in your bathroom. For example, a rolling shower chair might be what you like, but what if the design of the shower is not suitable for you? Therefore choosing the chair as per the design is very important.
3. Consider the size of your shower
The size at which the shower is installed is another important factor that should be considered. It is important to choose the shower chair as per the size of the shower. The very reason why it has to be in accordance with the size of the shower is that it has to be used in the shower, which is why it is called a shower chair. Therefore, make sure that proper measurements are taken. Also, the weight of the user is an important thing to be considered.
4. Check online
Finally, an important tip for choosing the shower chair as per your requirements is to check online. The Internet can help you in making the right choice. You will always be able to choose the best quality shower chair if you check online. Besides, you also get a range of designs as well as sizes in the online market and the deals can make your task simpler.
All these tips should always be kept in mind before choosing the shower chair. Most of all, it should be as per your requirements because otherwise, it is a wasteful expense. Only if it is as per your requirements and satisfies your needs, a shower chair can be a useful expense for your bathroom as well as for the user.
How to Use a Shower Chair
Whether you are buying a shower chair for your own use or are a carer or family member looking after an elderly person, it’s important to be aware of the various steps to using a shower chair with safety.
For elderly people who live alone, bath and shower time can be a difficult and worrying experience. However, by using a chair in the bath or shower cubicle, the risk of accidents and injury can be greatly reduced.
Even when there are two people present during the cleaning process, there are still various dangers related to slipping and tripping, even with the benefit of a chair.
The following advice is intended for elderly owners of shower chairs as well as those who might be on hand during the procedures and will shine a light on things to consider so as to ensure everything goes smoothly.
Preparation for a Shower
Before you even use the shower chair for elderly people, it’s vital to prepare the bathroom so as it is fit for use. This means, amongst other things, making sure the floor is dry so that no one slips over and is badly injured.
Bath towels should be placed in easy-to-reach locations as should soaps, shampoos, body scrubbers, sponges, and other bathroom accessories used in regular cleaning sessions. The shower chair itself should also be positioned close to the shower or bath, ready to use.
If you’re an elderly person living alone, it will be sensible to phone a family member or friend before showering. This will make someone aware of what you’re doing and thus able to phone you back half an hour to an hour later (depending on your choice of time) to make sure you completed the shower safely and without incident.
Secure the chair in place
There are a few different types of shower chairs for elderly people and these vary in regards to whether they fit in a bath, shower cubicle, or indeed, both. Place the chair in the bath or shower stall and make sure it is on a flat surface, secure, and does not wobble.
Lock any wheels if applicable. Try to slide the shower chair around. It should not move at all if the rubber-tipped legs are doing their job properly. Finally, make any final adjustments such as the height of the seat and the width of the arm span.
Entering and Exiting the Shower
The most dangerous and exhausting aspect of showering when you’re elderly and infirm is getting into and out of the shower. If you are showering alone, then it’s important to transfer into and out of the shower slowly and carefully.
One of the best items of equipment you can use to help you with this process is a transfer bench. This item is a longer form of the standard shower chair which has one end open allowing the person to gently maneuver into and out of a bathtub or stall.
When showering is complete, the primary focus should be on drying yourself off as quickly as possible and moving to a warmer and drier location. That said, it is important, once again, to not rush and thereby risk injury. In many ways, taking things slowly and carefully is the fastest way to accomplish a task.
If possible, it is generally sensible to towel dry in the shower before exiting the stall or bath. This will mean your hands and body will have a better grip for holding onto handrails and handles.
Added Safety Features
Some shower chairs for the elderly come with safety belts that can be fixed to prevent the person in the chair from falling out.
Depending on your physical condition or that of your elderly family member, this feature will be something to look out for when purchasing a shower chair for elderly people in the first place. As well as this, chairs will also come with handles and footrests, plus a whole host of possible additions depending on one’s requirements.
When the cleaning process has been completed there are a couple of things to do in order to ensure the chair is ready for the next shower. Good hygiene is a vital ingredient in bathroom furniture and this is especially important when it concerns the health of elderly people and young children.
Make sure the chair is washed thoroughly after each use. This can be done by rinsing it in the shower or bathtub and wiping it down as you would other bathroom fixtures. Leave it to dry and then store it in a storage area or alternatively leave it next to the shower ready for use again.
What Are The Materials Used On A Shower Chair
The material used in the construction of shower chairs also varies but only in slight ways. As one might expect, the chairs need to be waterproof, strong and without sharp edges, thus strengthened plastic is the norm.
There are some other more eye-catching options that are different of an aesthetic nature and these include a teak shower bench. All chair legs are metal and as mentioned previously, have rubber feet in the form of suction cups or similar.
Most shower chairs also come with handles or bars which allow for extra places to grip with the hands when getting into or out of the shower. The vast majority of seats also have a hole or multiple holes to allow water to drain away and prevent build-up.
Who needs these shower chairs?
Some families have to take good care of elderly people with bariatric problems. Others suffer from obesity and have to take care of themselves. Prior to buying, understand a person’s weight issue and condition properly. If caring for an elderly or a young person with this condition, pay a visit to his or her doctor.
Request the doctor to recommend the best bathroom chair. Maybe a friend, relative, or even a neighbor uses this item and seems to have a similar condition. Approach them and request referrals.
What are the best height and weight limits?
A shower bench chair that allows a high weight limit is indeed appropriate. A hardwearing seat with a limit of five hundred pounds as a minimum is the most excellent.
Do not trust anything below this limit to offer maximum security. If a family has more than one overweight person, they can all share a common seat. However, it has to have an adjustable height option.
Should one consider quality more than price?
Most people will obviously recommend going for the quality of the chairs and not their prices. A suitable bariatric shower chair must-have features such as a side handle, a wide sitting area, matchless construction materials, and workmanship.
What is the maximum weight capacity for most handicapped shower chairs?
Most handicap shower chairs have the ability to hold anyone from 250-300 lbs. There are, however, heavy-duty models that will hold a person up to 400lbs.
What are some of the features/accessories available in a bath and shower chair?
There are many features and accessories available in today’s shower chairs. Options such as shower seat handles, bench extenders, cushions, and heavy-duty aluminum legs are available.
[su_note note_color=”#f0f0e8″]As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Participation in these programs helps us keep the lights on at footprobe.com and in no way impacts our research process or editorial opinions.[/su_note]